Saturday, August 05, 2006

COFFEE WITH GOD

I lost my compass awhile back and went hunting for a cup of coffee to think about it. It was a hot June day. Starbucks was out. I wanted plain black Columbian coffee. Java in a dirty mug. Something basic to mull things over.

It was a late weekday afternoon, and nothing was open! Then, I remembered a cathedral, not far from my office, across from a university, where a neighbor, a retired minister, had invited neighbors and friends one Easter to share services and coffee after.

As I got there, I noticed the church doors were open. So, I got my coffee at the shop next door and then made a bee line into the church. That late afternoon, spilling into evening, they were having a vespers service. I studied the stained glass windows, the light, and the small assembled congregation. I set my physical coffee under my chair and, instead, had spiritual coffee with God.

Let's say that I had lost my confidence, my hope, and my faith. Let's say I remembered how to find them.

So, what does this have to do with action theory and black swan outliers?

At any moment we are all high wire artists at the start of an "act". The end of the act is on the other side. We know how to do it, each and every little part of our act, in the action box that envelops our highwire path. It is the starting that is difficult, the going, and the ending. As well as the re-beginning and renewing. Again and again.

So, there has to be some faith. There has to be some confidence. There has to be some happiness. Once in awhile, you have to contemplate the sunlight coming through the stained glass window and share a cup of coffee with God.

Steeling yourself for a highwire life of action doesn't necessarily require fear, anxiety, or confusion.

At any instant, we are all at a potential start point that stands alone, with infinite possibilities. If we had the perfect guide, who could dialogue with us every step of the way, and share in the spirit of that One, imagine how much could we accomplish starting right here, right now.

I am an outlier come home, ready to do my tricks.