Saturday, August 21, 2004

Centrifigual Thinking

Life is a whirlpool, a literal vortex, with emotions and psyche surging at the center. What drives us, like Emily DickInson says, lies in the center, is secret, and "knows".

I wish my center "knew". Unfortunately, I see life as being surrounded by a lot of "unknowns".

What does tomorrow hold?
Will my team win or lose?
Will I get a raise?
What will the answer be to my question?
How do I do x, when I can't afford it?
How do I do y, when I have no time for it?
How do I do z, when I can't get permission or agreement on it?
How do I get started on something?
How do I choose among 30 "somethings"?
What if I don't know how to get started?
What if I don't know where to get started?

Who. What. Where. Why. How. When. In linguistics, these are called the "inquisitives". We need them to get around.

The key, as the line said in The Matrix, is not so much to know what the answer is. The secret is to know What The Question is.

What is The Question?

Maybe that's The Question.